As with the previous core lists, here are twenty Speculative Fiction Works featuring remarkable red heads chosen entirely on the basis of merit and significance to the field1. And the colour of at least one significant character’s hair. No implication is intended that these are the only twenty books you should consider2.
- The Book of Three by Lloyd Alexander
- The Summoning by Kelly Armstrong
- Gwinna by Barbara Helen Berger
- Barrayar by Lois McMaster Bujold
- Diadem from the Stars by Jo Clayton
- Princess Belle-Etoile by Marie-Catherine d’Aulnoy
- Nova by Samuel R. Delany
- The Lost World by Arthur Conan Doyle
- So You Want to be a Wizard by Diane Duane
- Seeker’s Mask by P. C. Hodgell
- The Keeper of the Isis Light by Monica Hughes
- Black Unicorn by Tanith Lee
- Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren
- Firethorn by Sarah Micklem
- Forerunner Foray by Andre Norton
- The Ruins of Ambrai by Melanie Rawn
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone by J. K. Rowling
- Legacy by James H. Schmitz
- A Brother’s Price by Wen Spenser
- Talking to Dragons by Patricia Wrede
Persons unfamiliar with one or two of the works, congratulations! You’re one of today’s Ten Thousand!
1: There are two filtering rules:
Only one work per author per list
Any given work by a particular author can appear on only one list. A given author may, however, have works on various lists but each instance of their work will be unique. Unless I screw up.
2: NO IMPLICATION IS INTENDED THAT THESE ARE THE ONLY TWENTY BOOKS YOU SHOULD CONSIDER.