Everyone loves recommendation lists. Judging by how many of them I see, people enjoy making them, too. I love to embrace new experiences so early in March I tried my hand at make a list of core SF books, chosen purely on the basis of merit and without regard for any other parameter. It was fun enough I think I will do one of these core lists, each with a different theme, every second Thursday. Except for this one, which I post out of schedule for reasons.
Note that the entire set of core books is much, much larger than any 20 book list posted on the web.
- A Door Into Ocean by Joan Slonczewski
- A Voice Out of Ramah by Lee Killough
- A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L’Engle
- Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie
- China Mountain Zhang by Maureen McHugh
- Don’t Bite the Sun by Tanith Lee
- Dreamsnake by Vonda N. McIntyre
- Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
- Galactic Derelict by Andre Norton
- Gate of Ivrel by C.J. Cherryh
- Golden Witchbreed by Mary Gentle
- Jirel of Joiry by C.L. Moore
- Kindred by Octavia E. Butler
- Ninefox Gambit by Yoon Ha Lee
- The Dispossessed by Ursula K. Le Guin
- The Female Man by Joanna Russ
- The Many Colored Land by Julian May
- The Next Continent by Issui Ogawa
- The Snow Queen by Joan D. Vinge
- Warm Worlds and Otherwise by James Tiptree, Jr.
Read more ➤